Friday, December 27, 2013

Noodles for Dessert? Yes please.

Last night we stopped into one of the Tong's favorite ChiuChow restaurants in Richmond, JC Kitchen. The Tongs go there for the fantastic sweet and sour pork among other things. The food was delicious but the blogworthy item was what we had for desert- pan fried noodles with sugar and vinegar. 

Big Plate O' fried noodles



Served with sugar and Chiangking vinegar

The noodles are crunchy on the outside and warm and chewy in the center- the sugar on the noodles made me think of cereal, but the counterbalance of the vinegar reeled me back in to the more savory nature of this desert.

Carved up like a pizza- and sprinkled with sugar and Vinegar to taste
Crispy on the outside - chewy on the inside.

These noodles loosely approximate well-done shoestring fries in texture. They are also slightly reminded me of shredded wheat.


A big hit with the Tongs

Ian's sister Carol mentioned that there was also a Jewish tradition of making sweet noodle casserole dishes-- we call them Kugels, or noodle casseroles. Somehow that had escaped me- probably because I'm not a big fan. I think it will be time to revisit that notion at the next big Jewish festivity. Many thanks to the Tongs for the excellent meal and company, and for introducing me to my first Chinese noodle dessert!


No comments:

Post a Comment