Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Too many noodles and not enough time in LA

I'm spending a lot of time in California over the next month or two and there are just so many amazing places to eat out here there really just isn't enough time or room in my stomach for it all. Thankfully I've been doing some yoga out here because to eat all of this food without doing a little work is just a recipe for disaster. Yesterday I met my very good friend and fellow noodle junkie Michala for lunch in LA's Little Tokyo at a ramen place she loves called Daikokuya.  We had to wait around 20 minutes to be seated at the counter- but these noodles are definitely worth waiting for.

Michala and I are dead fucking serious about our noodles!

The first thing Michala mentioned was that although there were many great "set menu" options to add a chicken, beef, or even delicious looking tuna sashimi with rice for a few extra bucks, it just wasn't worth it because countless sessions at Daikokuya had taught Michala to concentrate on just the ramen, or else one risked committing the sin of leaving unfinished ramen in the bowl. She also told me not to get distracted by the spicy miso ramen,  a rather serious temptation for me.  The correct thing to order at Daikokuya is the Daikoku Ramen, essentially a deliciously milky and porky Tonkatsu style ramen.

Daikoku Ramen don't be jealous

 As usual, my piggy nature prevailed and I just had to order the "chicken and egg" bowl along with my soup- which also comes with a delicious little cabbage salad slathered in a lip-smackingly good ginger miso dressing. These were delicious and possibly a nice small meal by themselves- so I would have done well to heed Michala's warning... but I just can't change my nature at the drop of a dime.

The soup had a creamy texture but the fat didn't coat my tongue like the Tonkatsu broth in the Akamaru modern at my favorite NY ramen standby Ippudo. If anything, it was a little lighter, and that is welcome at lunch time, because, although I'm sure everyone would love to, we can't all just find a bed and curl up into fetal position after lunch. The flavor of the broth was very porky and meaty and redolent of the sesame seeds that bathed in it. Although It lacked the finishing punch of Ippudo- that punch is slightly incapacitating. Even so, a similar sensory overload can be obtained at Daikoku too- for a few dollars more you can add the Kotteri broth made with more back fat. In my opinion, the soup is very delicious as it is although I would love to try the augmented option on one of these visits.

Another crowning glory to this ramen is the inclusion of an egg. No, I did not have to pay an extra $2 for it- it came with the soup. What ingredient is more delicious and welcome than a half boiled egg in one's ramen?  Especially when one isn't nickel and dimed about it.  I also loved the balance of ingredients: scallions, sesame and bamboo - they were well appreciated for their taste, color, and texture. The noodles were toothsome and al-dente and really everything you could ask for in a traditional yellow ramen noodle. And the pork; delicious, center-stage, and just fatty enough to have great texture without being over-indulgent.

The Pork is center stage- 2 lovely pieces.

This was a great bowl of soup, what a sin that I wasn't  able to finish the whole bowl. Take Michala's advice, don't get distracted, all you are going to need is this soup. And the price is just right- $9 for an ample serving of ramen. Did I mention they have free pureed garlic and pickled ginger to add to your bowl? You really don't need to pay for any add-ons here at all.  This ramen is about half the price of an outing to Ippudo to NYC, and every bit as good too. The cost of ramen-living is just too high in NYC, but its just right here in LA.



No comments:

Post a Comment